Friday, January 11, 2008

The Eiffel Tower Saga

We finally started working in the Eiffel Tower. And of course nothing is going smoothly. I originally tried to count how many steps there were. The book lists about 150. then we realized that each group of steps is repeated! So there are 300 steps to complete for this thing!
(sorry the pictures aren't so clear. don't know what happened with the camera)

We had gotten to step 30 the second time and put the work away for the night. the next day while I was getting ready to take the dog out for a walk, I knocked our camera bag over onto the Tower. The entire thing collasped! I had to rebuild it all over!


This is the Tower with the first 60 steps - the second time!!


More trouble - if you look carefully at the picture, you may notice that one of the sections is not complete. that is because there were missing pieces from the box! and the missing piece are not your standard everyday LEGO pieces, no that would be too easy. They are specially shaped ones in particular colors. We were able to find a few of the missing pieces from some other LEGO projects. But the pieces here we don't have. I have to get up to the LEGO store in NJ to see if I can find them. We can't continue building until we get the missing piece. Cari, can you help???

7 comments:

Jaye said...

Oooh, that looks painfully tedious! Have fun with that!

Undomestic said...

Can't you call the company and have them send you some! How many do you need? I can make a trip to the MOA next week, if you need me to.

I can't believe you broke it! Like you really had the time to rebuild it again! You're awesome!

Izabael said...

We are working on it right now and am seemingly missing some pieces (I mean i've been through the box 4 times...it's possible they are still in there but there are 4 pieces listed on the outside that I can't find for the life of me...different than the ones you lost.)

Yes this project is quite a challenge! It should be cool if we can ever hobble it together tho :)

lwteach said...

I am sure we didn't lose any pieces, we spent two hours organizing all the pieces into separate bags. I have been through all the bags to no avail. I am going to try and get to the LEGO store in NJ this week.. We can't go on until we get it!

Izabael said...

Can you start on one of the other sections until you get your pieces?

Each instruction booklet is self-contained. The three parts of the tower come apart for transport so they are independent.

I remember in the past when I had missing pieces Lego would replace them for free, but of course I doubt you want to wait that long.

Jaye said...

Where is the Lego store in NJ? Maybe I can go this Friday and pick up the pieces you need (just need specs) before Champ & I go to the movies.

lwteach said...

There is a LEGO store in Bridgewater Commons. You see the piece in the blog, it is a 3d trapezoid and the bottom has a 6 lego space.

we might go on to the next section - that will probably take a while anyway. I am hoping not to be missing any other pieces. these weren't the first ones missing, there were others but we managed to find those in Champ's other LEGO boxes.