Friday, April 25, 2008

Why I never wanted to teach writing

Having a PhD was supposed to mean, at least I thought was supposed to mean, focusing your life's work and career on something vitally important to you. I chose mathematics education - I love teaching math and helping others learn how to teach math more interactively and thoughtfully. However, in my role at Lehigh University, I have yet to be able to do that. Instead, what do I get to teach? Writing and Reading.

When I first left elementary school to move to teach in the middle school, I had to make a choice about what I wanted to teach. My list looked something like this:

1. Math
2. Literature
3. Social Studies
4. Science
.
.
.
.
.
.
100. Writing

I hated grading papers, reading and re-reading students work.....I don't know how you English teachers do it! But here I am, after spending 12 years perfecting mathematics teaching, after getting my PhD in mathematics, up to my eyeballs in papers (and up to my virtual eyeballs in emailed papers as well!!!!!).




This picture only shows two of my classes. I have another 15 papers online, 17 drafts of research projects, and 17 action research projects which haven't even been collected yet!

I think next semester I will teach how to read a math book and how to write math problems!

1 comment:

Undomestic said...

But don't you think it's more interesting to read people's thoughts and feelings than some crazy numbers all the time?

Ha Ha! I DEFINITELY don't miss all that grading!