Friday, February 22, 2008

The Lakers




The Randy's basketball team is now 5-6. They are done with the regular season and after a week off with practice, the playoffs will start. If they win their first playoff game, I will miss their second on as I will be in Vegas!

An interesting coaching dilemma came up for big Randy. This past Thursday was the last regular season game. There is a girl on the team, not a particularly athletic girl. She hasn't scored all year and they always have to run special plays just to get her to touch the ball. Randy wanted to give her a chance to score in this final game, as she has played in this league for 2 years without ever scoring. So he decided to play her for the entire game until she scored. Not only that, but he had the whole team talk about it and agree to feed her the ball until she scored. Meaning, they weren't going to score many points in the game and most likely get blown out by the other team.

I was against it - being for equal opportunity and not favoritism - but he did it anyway. The team seemed to be fine with it and rallied around her to try and get her a point. At first, I don't think it was obvious to the other team what was going on. Eventually they found out (how is another story that really pissed me off, but I'll not air that dirty laundry right now (and it wasn't my husband that did it)). She finally scored in the middle of the 3rd quarter and the gym went crazy for her. Though I was still not quite sure it was the best thing to do, but her parents were very happy. And she asked to be on my husband's team again next year.

Once she scored, the rest of the team went back into action. They didn't win, but at least they didn't seem down or depressed by it. I can't wait to see them in the playoffs!

1 comment:

Undomestic said...

I get your point. But I think it was incredibly sweet. Tell Randy that I applaud him for wanting to give that girl a special moment she'll never forget!